Are You an Active Substance-User?
No Judgments Here…Just Help
In 2016, the Lower East Side Harm Reduction Center joined the Alliance. Born in the midst of the AIDS crisis, LESHRC is a culturally diverse, community based, non-profit organization. Its mission: reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS, HCV and other drug-related harm among injection drug users. Its professionals and volunteers deliver substance use-management services with anonymity and compassion, while also training others in the practice compassionate intervention.
Visitors to LESHRC can:
- Exchange syringes in complete anonymity
- Get sterile injecting equipment and safer sex supplies
- Receive Narcan/Naloxone overdose prevention meds and learn essential practices and procedures.
- Be tested for HIV or Hepatitis C (Rapid testing)
- Get medical and mental health care, counseling, and referrals
- Sign up for case management
We Train Peers to Reach Out
Since 1995, the LESHRC's Positive Action Peer Education Program (PAPEP) has trained more than 200 recovering addicts for employment or volunteer work as peer counselors.
The mission: Reach out to the Lower East Side community by providing education in the prevention and treatment of HIV and hepatitis. As part of this training, program participants learn the principles of harm reduction, including how to conduct community outreach and organizing efforts.
Many PAPEP graduates are now employed full time in various social service organizations; others are now LESHRC community outreach volunteers.
Visit our drop-in center at:
25 Allen Street
New York, NY 10002
Or call us at 212-226-6333
Monday - Friday: 10am - 8pm
Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Monday- Friday: 9am - 5pm
Monday-Friday: 10am - 3 pm
(Or call 212-226-6333, x100 for an appointment)
- F Train to East Broadway
- B or D Train to Grand Street
- M15 Bus to Hester & Allen Street
Testing is the #1 tool against HIV and
Make a Donation.
Support the next great transformation
at the Alliance.