Achieving your life goals doesn't happen as the result of some complicated plan; it’s about waking up in a bed of your own, having a solid breakfast, and putting on a decent set of clothes so you can face the day feeling good about yourself. Alliance support services meet these basic needs.
What You Need: Food, Clothing and Shelter
With three meals a day, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back, it’s that much easier to reach your life goals. Here’s how we’re doing it.
Breakfast and Lunch…
They’re on Us
You can’t go far without proper nutrition. Eating the right foods every day gives you the strength and energy to manage a chronic illness or to overcome an addiction. And as the demand for food pantry and onsite meals increases annually, we’re responding with a program to fit most every situation.
Our staff nutritionists work with caterers to create appetizing, balanced menus. And it’s working: In 2016, we served 39,000 free meals at five locations throughout Manhattan and the Bronx, including the Alliance Kitchen, CASA Washington Heights, the Lower East Side Harm Reduction Center, and at our Pelham Grand Residence.
…and We Can Help You at Home, Too
The food pantries at our Midtown and CASA Washington Heights locations offer services for most every need:
- Our monthly food pantry package includes nine complete healthy meals—the ingredients you need to make a healthy breakfast, lunch or dinner at home. (Just tell us about your kitchen tools and we’ll build a package that works for you!)
- The weekly pantry program provides groceries for participants enrolled in FNS (Food & Nutrition Services) program.
- Emergency pantry services address an immediate need, with gift cards to supermarkets.
- Cooking classes and nutritional counseling teaches clients how to make heathier meals with food pantry packages.
Everyone Needs a Place: Let Us Find One for You
Approximately half of our program participants are homeless or in immediate need of a new place to live—and we’re here to help. Over the years, the Alliance’s housing placement services have helped thousands of people secure clean, safe housing: a huge part of creating Positive Change in other areas of life. In 2016, we helped almost 2,000 New Yorkers get the housing they need to form the foundation of a sober, meaningful life.
Pelham Grand, the Alliance’s 90-unit residence, is located in the Bronx. The complex provides short-term or permanent supportive housing for special populations. As a Pelham resident, you can receive personalized services that help you in regaining control of your health, as you move toward long-term independence. Services include:
- Communal meals
- Medical care
- Pharmacy access center services
- Onsite recovery-support groups
- Counseling in independent living skills
- Vocational training
Step Out with Wonderful Wearables
Our Wonderful Wearables Clothing Room, located at our Midtown Central location, is managed entirely by program participants. Visit Wonderful Wearables to find the clothes, accessories, and toiletries you need to move forward. Men’s and Women’s items include:
- Warm clothes/coats in winter
- Business and everyday outfits for interviews
- Toiletries kits
During the winter of 2016-2017, we distributed 500 coats, as well as gloves, hats, and scarves.
Testing is the #1 tool against HIV and
Make a Donation.
Support the next great transformation
at the Alliance.